Knowing the right way to approach feeding your dog can be confusing. These days, the grocery market shelves are packed full of dozens of brands and even more specialty dog foods. If you have been trying to research the best dog food, you have probably read plenty of conflicting information as different brands of kibble compete for your dollars.
Our dog nutrition section covers everything you need to know about how to feed your dog the best, without falling for advertising gimmicks.
Learn about what the different brands have to offer, what kinds of people food are safe for your dog (and which aren’t!), and even how to bake your own healthy dog treats in your own kitchen. Also check out our homepage for everything Dog Nutrition and More!
The dog food market has exploded over the last decade. New brands seem to pop up every month. The good news is you have plenty of options to choose from. The bad news is that it can be harder than ever to choose the best for your dog because it can be hard to tell the difference between science backed nutrition and clever marketing.
Our dog food guides will help you make sense of the world of dog nutrition so that you can make sound decisions to make sure your pooch is getting the best out of her daily regimen.
Find the answers to common questions in our Dog Food articles, including:
- Is a special diet such as high fiber or grain free right for my dog?
- What types of food are best for certain breeds such as dachshunds or chihuahuas?
- What is a limited ingredient diet, and does my canine companion need one?
- What dog foods are best for dogs with allergies?
- What kinds of kibble are best for picky eaters?
Want to learn more about which brands really have something to offer? Check out our Brand Reviews section to get the inside scoop.
Our unbiased reviews include an in depth analysis of several important factors when it comes to getting the best for your pooch:
- Nutritional value – See the full breakdown of protein, fat, fiber, and more for each of the offerings for each of our reviewed dog food brands.
- Ingredient sourcing – Ever wonder where your pup’s food comes from? We did the research so you don’t have to!
- Cost – Sure you want the best, but you also don’t want to get ripped off!
- Taste – Will it pass the picky eater test?
- Variety – Explore the special diets offered by each brand to learn if they have something just right for your canine companion.
- Brand reputation – How well is this brand respected among dog aficionados and nutritional experts?
Some people foods such as sweet potatoes, green beans, and dark leafy greens such as kale can be a healthy addition to your dog’s diet. On the other hand, some foods such as chocolate, raisins, and onions are toxic to many dogs and should be avoided at all costs.
Here at Wileypup, we don’t buy into the “Never feed your dog people food” myth. However, we do think it is important to do your research to be sure a food is safe for dogs before you accidentally make a fatal mistake.
Interested to learn which people foods are safe and healthy additions to your dog’s meal routine…and which are potentially toxic? Our Food Safety section has you covered.
Would you like to make healthy and tasty treats for your dog from home? It’s a great way to make sure Fido is getting some whole foods rich in vitamins, fiber, and nutrients into her diet.
Cooking dog treats from home also has another advantage: You are in complete control of the quality of ingredients. This is a perk that some dog owners (and their lucky pets) just can’t do without.
Whether you want to ensure your pet is getting organic treats or want to limit ingredients to help control her allergies, homemade dog treats are the way to go.
This section of our website includes easy, fun, and tasty dog treat recipes that your dog will love! (Stay tuned, more articles to follow soon!)