Best Toys for Teething Puppies | Pain Relief
Depending on your puppy’s size and breed, they will be pushing out their baby teeth for adult teeth starting around 12-16 weeks. Just like in humans, this process is painful. Dogs naturally seek to chew, often incessantly, during this period to sooth their gums.
Hopefully you made good use of your puppy’s time with baby teeth to teach a soft mouth and bite inhibition. This skill will serve your dog for life, and make them much safer if they are ever in a situation where they are startled into biting another human or another dog.
Your pup will be teething until about 6 months of age. Toys for teething puppies are not an option, they are a must!
If you do not have the appropriate toys to offer your baby dog while they are teething, you can expect them to try just about anything to relieve their pain: shoes, furniture and stuffed animals.
It is potentially hazardous to let your pup chew on the wrong things. First, it teaches bad habits that can last a lifetime when baby dogs are allowed to chew on people stuff. Second, puppies without the right chews can get into danger very quickly.
Electrical cords, sharp plastic objects, and even splinters from sticks can become life threatening emergencies for infant dogs that put everything in their mouths to sooth their teething gums.
Making sure you have the right toys for your teething puppy is important. Variety can also be important because your pup will have a favorite that is impossible to predict.
Below we have a detailed review of the 5 best toys for teething puppies, followed by our number one pick!
Best Toys For Teething Puppies
Kong is a leader in great long-lasting dog toys. This two-in-one tug toy and soft chew bone is an all-around winner.
The bone portion of this teething toy is made of non-toxic all natural rubber, an exclusive formula that Kong is well known for. It is soft enough to comfort your pups gums while being durable enough to go the distance. The rope is braided from thin flossing strands to help keep teeth clean.
One of the stand out features we love about this teething toy for puppies is that it has two textures which makes it more interesting to your puppy. Also, you can use this toy to play a little game of tug to get your pup super interested in playing with you.
This bone is small, 3 ¼ inches across. It is great for smaller breed dogs and toy breeds. If your puppy is a medium to large breed, expect it to grow out of this toy fast.
- Small enough for even tiny puppies to get their mouths around.
- Two in one toy: Chew and tug.
- Dual textures give your teething puppy options.
- Trusted name brand, made in the U.S.A.
- Too small for larger breeds.
- Keep an eye on the rope portion, if it gets shredded then remove it.
Ethical Pets Mini Skinneeez Raccoon Stuffingless Dog Toy
Sometimes teething puppies teeth are so sore that they just need something super soft to chew on. This great toy is perfect for a tender mouth, and it is likely your pup will make this one a favorite.
This toy has the advantage of a stuffed animal…but without the danger of stuffing which can cause choking or intestinal blockages if your puppy tries to eat it.
The long shape of this toy makes it perfect for a game of tug too. Make sure you teach your baby dog the rules of tug: If their teeth touch your hand, game over! If they don’t “Drop it!” on command, game over!
Crinkle paper inside the toy gives it a fun sound that is irresistible for your dog. The fabric is very durable so this puppy teething toy will last.
- Soft like a stuffed animal, without dangerous stuffing.
- Doubles as a tug toy.
- Lightweight so even the smallest puppies can carry it around like a trophy.
- Comes with an 18-month warranty
- Powerful chewers may be able to shred this toy.
- This toy is not machine washable.
Dog Rope Toy by Blue’s Choice
This quality rope toy is perfect for teething puppies, even of the most aggressive chewing variety. The braided strands of flossing threads will stand up to long sessions of soothing chewing.
They come in a variety of sizes, but go a little bigger than your pup is now so they will grow into it.
Tip: Soak this bone in warm water and then freeze it for an extra soothing frozen bone chew that will help numb your puppy’s sore gums!
A great feature of this rope toy is that it is interactive. Don’t be afraid to play tug with your dog and be exciting about it.
Use the tug game as a reward for a great sit, or try a tug after your pup brings you the ball to teach the game of fetch. It is okay to let your pup win at tug sometimes, contrary to popular belief. Letting your puppy win the tug makes the game more fun as well as teaching confidence.
- Long lasting fun for even aggressive chewers.
- This is the most interactive teething toy for your puppy.
- Large enough that your puppy won’t outgrow it in a hurry.
- Machine washable.
- Eventually all rope bones get shredded and need to be replaced.
- If your let your dog take this outside, expect it to come back dirty.
- Never let your dog have a rope bone unsupervised; if they get it untied then the long strands can be dangerous.
Patriot Pet Bully Sticks
Okay. Let’s make a deal: We will share this top dog handler secret with you…just don’t ask what Bully Sticks are made of…you don’t want to know. Trust us…your puppy wants these!
These chews are long lasting, tasty and nutritious. Once your dog gets a little older, these can start to be an expensive habit. However, puppies usually take forever to get through one of them.
Bully sticks get wonderfully soft with chewing, perfect for the tender gums of your teething puppy. And, Patriot brand bully sticks are 100% American free-range and anti-biotic free beef. You definitely want to avoid bully sticks not sourced from the U.S.A.
The one down side of bully sticks: they can get a little stinky after a while. Also, be sure to take away the ends when they get small enough to become a choke hazard.
- Long lasting and great tasting. These are addictive chews perfect for teething puppies!
- The best of soft and firm, these chews get the perfect exterior for gently massaging gums after a little chewing.
- Natural ingredients, sourced from the U.S.A.
- Professional dog trainers and handlers have been teething puppies on these for years!
- They can get a little bit of an odor after a while.
- They are pricey, but each one will last for hours, of chewing for young puppies.
Another great natural choice for your teething pup is Elk Antlers. We like them over white-tail deer antlers because they have a better texture on the outside which will make them more interesting for longer chew sessions.
Downtown Pet Supply sources their Elk Antlers in the U.S.A. and offers them in a variety of sizes so you can get just the right fit for your teething puppy whether they are a giant or toy breed.
Once your pup discovers the marrow inside the antler, they will be a life-long enthusiastic fan of Elk Antlers. Although a little pricey, they last a very long time and your puppy will probably find them more interesting than plastic toys.
- 100% natural and sourced in the U.S.A.
- They contain beneficial nutrients and trace minerals.
- Very long lasting and great tasting.
- Lots of sizes to choose from.
- They are hard and your puppy may not like them until they get past the early teething stage.
- They can leave a little bit of chalky mess on the floor.
And the Winner Is:
Experienced dog lovers and professionals love these low fat and high protein chews. They are super long lasting (beware of knock-offs made in a factory). Your teething puppy will love this chew toy no matter what their size or how picky they are about their toys.
Bully Sticks last much longer than rawhide chips or bones and are less messy. If you only get one toy for your teething puppy, choose these!