Best Orthopedic Dog Bed | Additional Support
Dogs love to have their own spot to rest. Giving your fur baby a bed doesn't only make them feel safe and secure but can help make training a hell of a lot easier too, I'm sure everyone can agree keeping your pup off the people furniture is far easier when they've got something just as comfy to lay on!
However, some dogs don’t just want any bed, they need the extra firm foundation of an orthopedic bed. This type of canine mattresses offer additional support for inflamed joints, arthritis, and neck or spinal injuries that many traditional canine beds lack.
Orthopedic mattresses are perfect for dogs that fit into any of the below categories:
Why Choose An Orthopedic Style Bed?
Senior/Older: Ageing dogs often have issues with joint pain, arthritis and muscle loss that can lead to crazy amounts of discomfort. As they enter their twilight years being as comfortable as possible is one of the more important goals that paw parents can do for their pups. The extra support that these mattresses give provide can lead to much greater comfort, a more restful sleep which will hopefully allow them to be more active and happy during the day.
Post-Surgery: Post op care is an extremely important element in the recovery from surgery. It's common for dogs to be sleepy and lethargic for the first day or two which is why it is crucial that they rest and recover. A mattress that provides that extra comfort, rest and support will assist greatly in their healing process.
Large Breeds With Joint and Hip Issues: It's more prevalent for larger canine breeds to experience hip and joint issues especially as the age. Their joints rub and grind instead of sliding smoothly which can lead to extreme pan and potentially loss of function. Treatment depends on age, severity and other factors with lifelong management often chosen. In these instances it's key to make their lifestyle more manageable, this is where supportive dog bedding can help.
Athletic/Working Types: Athletic show dogs and working breeds lead a very active life in both mind and body, which is great!!! For them to perform and work at their best they need adequate rest to recover. What better way to give them the rest they need that providing them with the best dog bedding on the market.
Degenerative Joint and Muscle Issues: As some dogs age their bodies can unfortunately begin to deteriorate which can lead to chronic inflammation and pain. Treatment is to control the disease and not cure. Appropriately management and making sure your pup is in the least amount of pain as possible is key. They can still lead long and happy lives just with a little extra help.
Neck, Spine or Joint Injuries: These injuries cause a lot of discomfort that can stifle the energy levels and personality of your dog. Sleep and rest in general is a major part of the recovery process.
As a Preventive Option/Spoil Them: Alternatively you might be noticing your pup starting to slow down, no one else can really see it, but you can. They're still fit and healthy and far away off from being considered an elderly dog but you'd still like to them to be as comfortable as possible. After all, they do deserve to be spoiled!
What to Look For In Orthopedic Canine Beds
There are several factors to consider when shopping for a bed that needs that little bit extra to suit your dogs special needs. Which mattress is right for you and your pet will depend on your specific situation and needs.
The most important feature is how much support it provides. We made sure that all of the beds on our top five list offer thick layers of high-density or memory foam. The larger your dog, the more support they will need. Memory foam is far superior to regular foam of the kind used in regular beds. Although more expensive, this is the main feature you are paying for in an orthopedic bed. Don’t skimp on the foam if your pup needs extra support.
Orthopedic beds are made of more expensive materials like dense memory foam that keeps its shape instead of cheaper poly fill stuffing that will collapse over time. If your pet is in need of the extra support, you will have to pay a little more. However, we made sure our list includes a range of prices so that you can find a good mattress suited to your pup regardless of your budget.
Versatility and style
There is no reason an these dog mattress can’t fit in with your existing décor. We looked at a wide range of styles and our list of beds includes plenty of colors and styles to choose from. Several of the brands we recommend come in several colors, others use neutral colors to blend in well with any décor.
Proper sizing matters for the best fit for your dog. We made sure that our list of top choices includes a wide range of sizes. In particular, we paid attention to the special needs of giant breeds, who are often the most affected by joint and hip problems. They are well represented among our top recommendations.
Let’s face it, canine mattresses get a lot of wear and tear. They need to stand up to years of use by your beloved pets. High-quality materials and solid manufacturing are hallmarks of a great product and essential to finding the right bed. An additional feature to be looking for is a waterproof inner liner. While it may not seem like much, this liner will protect the foam core from spills, accidents and odors, adding years to the life of your dog bed.
Ease of cleaning
Dog mattresses collect fur and that familiar canine smell. Being able to take your pups bed apart for easy machine washing is a must. Dirty mattresses don’t just look and smell bad, they can harbor allergens and dust mites. All of our beds include ease of cleaning as a must have feature.
Best Orthopedic Dog Bed Reviews
Big Barker 7" Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed
BarksBar Orthopedic Dog Bed
FurHaven Orthopedic Dog Sofa Bed
Dogbed4Less Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed
7" Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed by Golden Spearhead
#1 BarksBar Dog Bed - Orthopedic
The BarksBar Bed is a good choice if you have a medium or large pup.
One of the stand out features of this mattress is that it is fully surrounded by a soft pillow “bumper.” Does your furry friend do a full minute of circling before finding the perfect spot for a nap? Chances are they will be very satisfied by this design, perfect for nesting as well as providing superior neck and head support.
This is one of the more elegant designs on the market. Light and dark gray tones and sleek lines give this mattress a look that will fit very well with a modern style décor. If you are looking for a matching blanket, check out this premium micro plush blanket, a perfect accessory for this bed.
This bed comes in two sizes. Medium (32” x22”) and large (40” x 30”). It includes the best of both worlds: A firm 4” thick orthopedical foam bottom layer for structure and support, and a top layer of ultra-soft cotton padding for the ultimate in soft comfort.
- Fully surrounded by a pillowed rim for the ultimate in comfort.
- Stylish design fit for a modern décor.
- Removable machine washable cover for easy cleaning.
- No-slide rubber backing on the bottom will help this bed stay put.
- Limited color range available: Gray only.
- Does not include water proofing.
- If your pup is longer than 36” or over 100 lbs, this bed will be too small.
#2 FurHaven Orthopedic Dog Sofa Bed
The style of this mattress replicates a little miniature couch. It is adorable and functional since the pillow rims on 3 sides will provide extra head and neck support as well as helping your pup to find the most comfortable position.
The fabric of this bed is a water-resistant poly-canvass. It is a low-profile fabric which makes it super easy to clean with a vacuum or a quick wipe with a damp cloth.
The stuffing is 4” of egg-crate orthopedical foam with a soft quilted top. Two zippered sections allow you to easily take this mattress apart for machine washing, a must for senior dogs with incontinence issues.
If you are the owner of a larger breed, or a pup that suffers from severe joint pain, this bed may not offer enough support. Smaller and medium sized canines are a better fit for this bed. It is wide enough to share!
On the other hand, it is a tremendous value and one of the more inexpensive extra support mattresses on the market.
- Comes in 8 colors so you can match it to any home décor.
- The fabric is water resistant polycanvas which easy to wipe clean.
- One of the most budget friendly extra support beds on the market.
- All around deep pillow edge give your dog lots spots to curl into for maximum comfort.
- 4 sizes, including jumbo, will meet your needs regardless of the size of your dog.
- Less foam thickness than some other brands.
- The fabric is thinner and may present long term durability issues.
- Not enough support for larger breeds with special needs or giant breeds.
#3 KOPEKS Dog Bed - Orthopedic Memory Foam
The KOPEKS line uses a full 7” of memory foam in their beds for the ultimate in support for your pup. A 3” pillow on one side is also made of sturdy foam for a comfortable head or back rest that won’t collapse over time.
A key feature of this mattress is the additional inner lining that is fully waterproof. If your dog has issues with accidents due to seniority or degenerative spinal or joint issues, this is a solid choice.
Unfortunately, this bed only comes in one color, dark chocolate brown. If your pup sheds a great deal, this may not be a great color choice since it will show-off light fur. However, you can buy additional covers in a baby blue color, much more friendly on hiding fur and allowing you to save money in the long run by not having to replace the entire mattress to get a new look.
The design of this bed has simple, neat lines. It will fit snug in a corner or jumbo dog kennel well. Memory foam means this mattress will hold its shape and support over the long haul.
- 7” of memory foam is very supportive even for heavy K9s.
- Waterproof lining makes this a great choice for dogs prone to accidents.
- Extra-large dimensions (50”L x 34”W) will work with extra-large Canines.
- Extra replacement covers are available for purchase.
- Sleek design with clean lines and soft suede fabric.
- Limited color selection. Dark brown fabric will show lighter fur.
- The pillow is only on one of the shorter sides.
#4 The Dog’s Bed, Orthopedic Premium Memory Foam Waterproof Dog Bed
The rectangular shape makes this bed ideal for using in kennels. Lots of color and size options give you the ultimate in flexibility in terms of fitting this mattress into tight spaces and a variety of home décor styles.
There is plenty of functionality built into this bed. First, it is structurally sound with 4” of high density foam, topped with 2” of premium hotel-grade memory foam. If support is your top concern, this bed fits the bill.
Second, there is a waterproof inner liner, making this mattress practical for dogs that have accidents or like to flop in their bed right after a bath.
You have lots of options with The Dogs Bed line of orthopedic beds. They have a flat model which is great for packing for travel, as well as a high pillow side design for more support and comfort. A wide variety of sizes and colors gives you plenty of choice for any size canine and any home décor.
- Plenty of size and color options available.
- Waterproof inner liner included.
- Extra soft plush fabric top.
- Replacement covers in a variety of colors available for all models and sizes.
- Very high-quality materials and construction for extra durability.
- Not all models have a pillow rim.
- The pillow sided models are a bit pricey.
#5 Big Barker 7" Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed
One of the reasons we love the Big Barker line is that they offer one of the largest orthopedic canine beds on the market and use a very structurally sound design with a 7” thick high-grade memory foam that can stand up to extended use from even very heavy pups.
The giant size is 60” x 48”, making it perfect for giant breeds like Great Danes, Newfoundlands, and Mastiffs. Since such dogs are particularly prone to arthritis and joint problems, we thought it was critical to make sure an orthopedic mattress fit for these kings of the canine world made our top 5 list for quality extra support dog bedding.
Big Barker offers a 10-year guarantee on their beds. If your pups mattress loses over 10% of shape or support you can return it for a full refund. Although pricier than many other brands, you can count on very high craftsmanship and durable quality of this bed.
- Extreme support for even the largest canine breeds.
- Three neutral colors to choose from.
- Microfiber cover that is machine washable and soft to the touch.
- American made craftsmanship backed with a 10-year guarantee.
- Additional covers and waterproof liners available for purchase separately.
- This is one of the more expensive beds on the market.
- Not available in small or medium sizes.
#6 Dogbed4Less Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed
Another top of the line choice in an orthopedic bedding is this selection by Dogbed4less. It has a classic rectangular shape that makes it work well for kennels and corners. Several color options and simple lines make it easy to match whatever interior design theme you have in mind.
There are several stand out features of this canine extra support bed. The first is that the memory foam is extra dense for full support. In addition, it is infused with gel which helps with temperature regulation. The gel will help keep your pup cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
More signs of the high-quality manufacturing of this memory foam dog bed can be found in the details. The zipper is protected with an extra fold of fabric to prevent dirt and fur from wearing out or damaging the zipper. In addition, the bottom is covered in a non-skid finish so that you can expect this mattress to stay put.
You can get the Dogbed4less bed in several sizes. To figure out which size is going to be just right for your pup, have your dog lay flat on their side and then measure from the nose to the tip of their tail. Add 5” for the perfect fit!
- Comes in 7 sizes so that you can find the right bed for dogs of any size, including giant breeds.
- Denim cover is easy to remove for simple and fast cleaning.
- Interior cover is waterproof to protect the mattress from spills and accidents.
- Comes with an extra exterior cover, very helpful for keeping the bed available while you wash the cover.
- Available in several colors to match your home décor.
- The larger sizes of this bed are a bit pricier than some other models, although it remains a great value for the high-quality.
- This dog bed does not have raised sides like some of the other options on the market.
#7 7" Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed by Golden Spearhead
If you are looking for an extra thick layer of memory foam support, give this bed a try. A full 7” of foam and a pillowed side makes this canine mattress strong in support and comfort. Three layers of different density foams add up to long lasting and super strong support.
The dimensions are 48”L x 30”W making it ideal for medium to large dogs. The cover removes easily for cleaning. It comes with a dark navy cover, but you can order a free additional khaki colored cover with purchase. Quality microfiber makes the covers easy to clean.
In addition, there is a perfectly fitted waterproof liner to make sure that this supportive mattress will last for years. It also acts as an odor shield, keeping the foam free from doggy smells.
You can count on quality with this orthopedic mattress. The manufacturer offers a full one-year money back guarantee for any reason if you are dissatisfied with the product.
- 100% money back guarantee for a full year for any reason.
- Headrest design gives your dog something to lean on for the most comfortable position.
- Fully waterproof liner protects the mattress from spills and odors for a long life.
- Large enough for most large dogs.
- 7” of layered memory foam for firm support and plenty of comfort.
- Covers are limited to blue and kaki.
- A bit more costly than some other models but built to last.
- The headrest on this model is not as tall as some. If your dog likes to curl into a corner, this may not be the best choice.
Verdict - What's The Best Orthopedic Dog Bed?
The overall winner of this roundup is KOPEKS Dog Bed - Orthopedic Memory Foam
It scores high for its support, waterproof lining and large design - you can use it in your home, or take it away with you, and feel comfortable knowing your pups going to have a restful nights sleep, and their bed is going handle whatever life throws at it!
How To Train Your Dog To Love Their New Bed!
Even the best supportive mattress for your pooch is useless unless you can get them to use it regularly. In most cases, canines take quickly to a great napping spot. However, some can be bothered by new smells and a bit hesitant at first.
Be patient with your furry friend while they get used to their new digs. If you are stressed out about forcing them to use their bed, you will likely do more to discourage them from choosing it since they may misinterpret your stress and come to associate it with their new bed.
The first thing to try is to just set it up and give your dog some time to investigate on their own. If that fails, here are some quick tips to make the transition to a new bed easy and painless:
- Put their new bed in the same location as the old one.
- Place a favorite toy on the bed to get your dog interested in trying it out.
- Bring your pup to the bed while they are on a leash and ask them to lay down. Reward and repeat.
- Put “Go to bed” on command using basic positive reinforcement training.
- Deny your dog access to other favorite napping spots until they choose their orthopedic bed as their regular napping location.
- Cover the bed with a favorite and well used blanket to give it a familiar and safe scent.
- Sit next to the bed and give your dog some extra pats and belly rubs until they fully relax.
What To Do To Prevent Your Dog From Tearing Their New Bed Apart
Some dog’s can’t resist the urge to tear all of the stuffing out of their beds. If your pal has a history of tearing the stuffing out of plush toys or has a notorious past with other dog beds, then you will want to take some extra measures to protect your investment.
Here are some tips:
- Start by only letting your pup use the bed while supervised so that you can reward non-chewing, and correct the slightest attempts of chewing.
- Cover the new mattress with an old blanket and tuck around the corners. This can mask that “new bed smell” that may be driving your pooch’s curiosity.
- Often licking will come before chewing. Keep a close eye and discourage the first lick.
- Exercise and mentally stimulate your dog more. The biggest reason that canines engage in destructive behavior is boredom.
- Make sure your dog has plenty of appropriate chew toys on offer. Pups under 2 years old tend to have the strongest chewing drive, however, some breeds keep a drive to chew for life.
Summary and Review
As our list makes clear, orthopedic beds with at least 4” of sturdy memory foam, easy to clean covers, and waterproof liners will make sure that your mattress will last for years to come. Just like you would not skimp on your own mattress, make sure to invest in a dog bed that will best serve your dog’s special needs.
We know that your dog’s health and well-being means the world to you. We wanted to provide you with well-researched options for the best orthopedic dog bed for your furry friend. Whether you are shopping for an aging, injured or just plain spoiled pooch, you can buy from this list of products with confidence!
If you and your fur baby are after something different, have a look at Dog Bed Caves for beds that offer cute roofs to provide your pup with that extra sense of safety that a little cubby bed will provide.