Best Dog Clippers for Poodles | Easy Grooming
If you have a Poodle, then you are already aware of all the fun and beautiful styles of trim that you can do with this breed’s unique coat.
In fact, many Poodle owners find that doing their own trimming not only saves some money by avoiding the costs of professional grooming, but it also gives them a chance to bond with their Poodles through their trimming sessions.
Professionals know, there is no substitute for quality equipment when it comes to trimming. Beginners may be tempted by the large variety of shavers for poodles available on the market, and it can be hard to know gimmicks from the real deal.
How To Win At Poodle Haircuts!!!
Many Poodle lovers come to enjoy the bonding ritual and “dress up” aspect of trimming their own Poodles at home. It is not just a way to save money, it can also be a fun way to bond and play with this beautiful and unique breed.
Here are some tips for success:
- All clippers can get very hot so be careful you do not burn your Poodle.
- Be very careful around the eyes, especially until you have developed confidence with using your clippers.
- Get good equipment. Nothing makes a job harder than clips that are not powerful enough for the job.
- Replace blades at the first signs that they are getting dull. Dull blades make grooming hard work, and increase the chance of burning your dog.
- Always wash, dry, comb, and blow out your Poodle before a trim. This is critical to keeping blades sharp and preventing overheating clippers.
Learning to do your own Poodle trimming takes some time, and practice, and some willingness to make some mistakes. There are many great informative videos to help you learn techniques. We love this excellent, professionally done tutorial on how to do a “Salon Trim.”
Why Is It Important To Find The Best Dog Grooming Clippers?
We want to help you find the best dog clippers for Poodles so that you will have a positive experience with trimming your dog! Our list of the top 5 clippers for Poodle breeds includes a wide variety to meet your needs, regardless of your budget. They are all Poodle approved!
After our top 5 list, you will find some blade and comb recommendations, as well as some necessary accessories for trimming your Poodle. In addition, we have some tips for successful trimming included at the end of this article to help get you started.
We decided to rank this list by price, highest to lowest, to help you find the clippers that fit your budget.
If you have some experience trimming your Poodle, you are probably ready for an investment in the top of the line clippers. If you are a beginner, you may want to buy a clipper set that is less expensive if you are not yet sure that you will enjoy clipping your own Poodle.
Andis UltraEdge AGC2 2-Speed Professional Dog Clipper
Andis EasyClip Pro-Animal 11-Piece Detachable Blade Clipper Kit
Wahl Professional Animal PRO ION Home Pet Grooming Kit
5 Best Dog Clippers For Poodles
#1: Andis EasyClip Pro-Animal 5-Speed Clipper Grooming Kit
If you are ready to invest in top-of-the line clippers, it doesn’t get much better than this. Long the favorite in the professional dog grooming community, Andis makes a quality product that you can count on for your poodle grooming needs for years to come.
The 4,500 SPMs (strokes per minute) top speed of this model is enough for any breed of dog and will make short work of grooming your Poodle. And, since it has 5 speeds and can go down to 2,500 SPMs, you can do tender areas like the face without worrying about burning your dog.
This model does not have a cordless option, and most powerful clippers don’t. Battery operation usually means less power, so there is a tradeoff. Many groomers use cordless models only for touch up trimmers since they just can’t get the long lasting high-power trim without a plug-in model like this one.
The included #10 ceramic blade is another bonus since they are more durable and run cooler than steel blades. We do wish this set came with combs, but they are pretty cheap so just remember to order them in the size you need.
- 5-Speed variations from 2,500-4,500 SPM for the best of power and control.
- Soft grip sides and ergonomic design.
- 4 color options.
- Size ten ceramic blade included.
- Pricey – it’s a top-of-the line professional clipper.
- Travel case not included.
- There are no combs included with this clipper.
#2: Wahl Motion Lithium Ion Clipper
Another fantastic manufacturer of clippers is Wahl. This quality clipper for Poodles comes with a 1 year limited warranty. It is a top choice among professional groomers as well.
One of the stand out features of this dog clipper for Poodles is the 5-in-1 button operated adjustable blade system. Most Poodle trims call for several blade sizes to complete, and with this clipper you won’t have to change blades during a session, saving a lot of time in the process.
The lithium Ion rechargeable battery is powerful. It only takes 45 minutes to charge and it will remain at full power for 90 minutes of use, plenty for any trim. Low vibration and quieter than most clippers in its class, this is a good choice for skittish poodles as well.
- Cordless and powerful.
- 5 in 1 blade adjusts to #9, #10, #15, #30 and #40 sizes.
- Charges in just 45 minutes, and runs for a full 90 minutes before it needs another charge.
- 1 Year limited warranty.
- Slightly narrower blade means more work for larger poodles.
- The speed is not adjustable.
#3: Andis UltraEdge AGC2 2-Speed Professional Dog Clipper
A step down from our #1 pick, another Andis clipper set makes our #3 slot. With a few less features and a lower price tag to match, this is still a very high-quality machine that will serve most Poodle owners well.
It does have two speeds, 3400 and 4400 SPM so it has plenty of power. Use the higher speed for fast trimming using a comb, and the slower speed for sensitive areas like the face and groin. Starting with those areas is a good idea since trimmers warm up with extended use.
The ultra-quiet motor of this set of clippers will be great for sensitive dogs, while serving up plenty of power to get through matted fur in a breeze. It also comes in several colors for the fashion forward Poodle (ALL Poodles are fashion forward…right?)
- 2 Speeds for fast trimming as well as getting sensitive areas.
- Comes with a #10 blade.
- Easy clean design.
- Made in the U.S.A
- Does not come with extra blades or combs.
- Heavier than some other models.
- No carrying case included.
#4: Andis EasyClip Pro-Animal 11-Piece Detachable Blade Clipper Kit
Beginners or pros will appreciate this pick in the mid-range of the price category. We love it as a starter kit because it comes with a size 10 blade as well as 6 combs from 1/8 to ¾ inches for even the fanciest Poodle cuts.
The power on this clipper is not adjustable, however 3,700 SPM is plenty of power, perfect for the beginner, or for tight trim work for professionals.
We really love that this kit comes with a hard carrying case so you can keep all of your gear together. Neat freaks and travelers will really appreciate this tidy and compact storage feature.
Another advantage of going with the Andis line of clippers is that they sell a full range of blades and combs. Some of the off-brands (we did not include any in our review because of this) only offer a limited selection of attachments which are not ideal for Poodles.
- 6 additional combs, cooling oil, and carrying case make this a great starter kit.
- 3,700 SPM is a perfect midrange power that is fast enough for main areas, but slow enough for tender areas.
- Ergonomic and easy to clean design features.
- Speed is not adjustable.
- 14 ounce weight is heavier than other models of this power range.
#5: Wahl Professional Animal PRO ION Home Pet Grooming Kit
If you are just starting out with clipping your Poodle at home, and are not ready to spend a few hundred dollars on a professional grade clipper set but still want a quality product, this is an excellent choice.
With up to 6,000 SPM there is plenty of power here for even thick matted hair. Cordless operation is another plus. Although it takes a long time (3-5 hours) for a full charge, you can quick charge in 15 minutes for about 8 minutes run time if you have a touch-up trim to do.
This kit includes lots of extras that beginners usually don’t have. 6 combs, a blade brush, cooling oil, blunt tip trimming scissors, hard carrying case and an instructional DVD make it just right if you are buying your first set of clippers.
- Economy priced for the beginner.
- Quality manufacturing with a 1 year limited warranty.
- Adjustable blade to #10, #15 and #30 so you won’t have to change blades during a trim.
- Rechargeable lithium battery for cordless use.
- Lots of accessories include as well as an instructional DVD, perfect for the beginner.
- Takes 3-5 hours for a full charge.
- Rated for medium duty home clipping.
Recommended Blades And Combs
We wanted to provide you with some helpful tips for understanding the many different blades and comb accessories. This quick primer will tell you all you need to know to make sure you order the right attachments with your clipper purchase:
- The number on the blade refers to the length it will trim the hair to, with the higher the number being closer to the skin.
- A comb attachment fits over the blade and acts like a spacer. The comb length refers to the length of the hair that is left when the comb is added to the clippers to give a longer, even trim.
- If there is an “F” after the blade, then it is a finishing blade, if not it is a skip-tooth blade. The skip-tooth blades are better for moving fast, the finishing blades give a more event look to the coat.
- Ceramic blades are a more expensive blade than traditional steel blades. They have a few advantages though. Ceramic blades tend to last longer and run cooler than steel blades. If you are trimming often or for the show ring, these blades may be worth the investment.
- For Poodles we recommend that you should have at least the following blades to get started: 7F, 4 or 4F, 10 or 15 (for feet and base of tail), 30 (for use with a comb), and a ¾” or 1” comb.
With time and practice you will get a better sense for what blades you need for the type of trim you want to do, but that is a good starting list for the beginner.
Recommended Dog Grooming Accessories
If you are buying clippers for your poodle for the first time, you may want to consider purchasing a few accessories that will come in pretty handy for your home grooming needs. We have compiled a list of some top-rated products below to help you make sure you have everything to get started.
Safety Rounded Tip Scissors – Use these specially designed scissors to safely trim around eyes and paws.
Grooming Scissors – For most Poodle cuts you will need scissors to finish shaping. Regular scissors just won’t cut it. This kit also includes a pin comb for pulling and fluffing hairs for excellent styling.
Blade Coolant – Clipper blades get very hot because of the friction that is created by their fast movement. Professionals use specialized blade cooling sprays. Check to be sure you get a product recommended by the manufacturer of or your clippers.
Styptic Powder – This is a good first-aid item to keep handy when trimming. Even the best groomers sometimes nick a dog in a spot that bleeds a lot, like the ears. Styptic Powder stops bleeding in its tracks.
Grooming Restraints – One of the tools that helps professional groomers work quickly and safely at waist level are grooming tables. They are expensive and bulky for the home. However, with this grooming arm system, you can turn your counter or table into a grooming station for hands free help to keep your poodle from squirming too much during a trim.
We hope we've given you enough info to take the plunge and start saving some coin! If you're interested in furthering your canine grooming skills, expertise and gear check out Dog Nail Grinders as well, much more pup friendly!